Welcome to 'My Thoughts Shared' for GSLL 6206; I look forward to hearing your thoughts....
cheers!

Friday, March 18, 2011

Identity-Bearing Signifiers and Beliefs – Can You Identify With This?

All of us have ways which we think about ourselves and how we participate in the world.  We are a good friend because we listen and keep confidences.  We are smart because we have successfully completed post-secondary education.  We are charitable because we contribute to the United Way through payroll deduction.  We are creative because we are left-handed.  And so on.  Identity is within us and surrounds us.  We talk about it in pop culture, such as in movies when a person needs to create a new identity to avoid some type of persecution, to denouncing a female pop star we see as promiscuous because we can’t identify with her.  We put our identity on display for others when we carry particular types of identification in our wallets.  A Gold Card identifies we are professionally successful, a gym membership card identifies we are fit and healthy. 
            Bracher describes the ways in which we think about ourselves, our attributes, and our beliefs as our identity-bearing signifiers.  He states
“…identity-bearing signifiers embody socially valued ideals and attributes that we strive either to enact or to avoid embodying in our behavior.  Our identity depends, first, on the integrity and status of such master signifiers and, second, on our assurance that we actually embody these signifiers” (2006, p. 18).
In other words, we determine as individuals what personal characteristics are valued by the society we live in and then focus on modeling our behavior to be viewed as representing these characteristics.  The construction of identity is more complex but this is a simplified way of explaining the concept.
            People talk about identity as if it is well understood and a self-evident notion arising from personal experiences.  In a course I completed last winter I wrote a paper on professional identity construct and the role of formal education in becoming a teacher.  In doing research I was surprised that is was difficult to find a clear definition of identity.  I did find a few definitions that captured the idea well.  In an article by Sfard and Prusak they described identity as collections of stories about persons, or more specifically, as those narratives about individuals that are reifying, endorsable, and significant (2005, p. 16). I liked this definition because of its reference to stories and narratives as I always find myself wondering what a person’s story is.  I can see now the similarity to Bracher in his description of narratives as diachronic systems of meaning (2006, p. 17).  Another definition which I quoted was in a 2008 study by Horn, Nolen, Ward and Campbell, who defined identity as the way a person understands and views himself, and is often viewed by others, at least in certain situations – a perception of self that can be fairly constantly achieved (p. 62).  Again there seems to be a tie to the work of Bracher and his description of self-perception as our identity-bearing signifiers.  In a 2008 paper by Olsen, he described identity as a continuum rather than, discrete linear parts (p. 23).  I can relate to identity in this description because our life experiences are impacting and causing changes to the way we see ourselves in different situations on an ongoing basis. 
            In terms of learning, Bracher describes ability or failure to learn as partially motivated by the need to maintain one’s identity-bearing signifiers (2006, p.18).  In post-secondary education examples of this are evident.  In the first book we reviewed this term by Tomasello, I found myself wondering if there were students in the class who might have difficulty in reading the book because of a belief in divine creation.  Would they have trouble identifying with the material because they deny evidence of evolution?  Bracher discusses this as an instance where learning can be undermined because the knowledge being discussed is divergent from a person’s core beliefs and therefore triggers resistance to consider it.  Additionally, I think of friends who have chosen to pursue a career path because they perceived the profession to be something they identified with.  In some cases they were right and excelled in their program of choice because their identity-bearing signifiers and beliefs were congruent with that of the profession.  In another instance, one friend was in the initial stages of a dentistry program when they decided that they could not deal with having to cause pain to others in the course of their work.  They just could not identify with this part of the job; they were not a person that caused others to feel pain.  Bracher (2006) describes a degree of identity destabilization as almost inevitable in university students.  The ability of students to be comfortable enough with their own identity to allow pursuit and exploration of belief-threatening information is important to development of critical thinking skills.  This doesn’t mean that core beliefs will always be changed but being open to questioning and exploring alternatives allows for new knowledge and better understanding of yourself and others.  I liken this point to the idea of being comfortable in your own skin.  If you know who you are and why you are who you are, it becomes easier to open yourself to considering new meanings.  I think this is what being a lifelong learner is all about.
References:
Bracher, M. (2006). Radical pedagogy: Identity, generativity, and social transformation, New York,  N.Y. : Palgrave MacMillan.
Horn, I.S., Nolen, S.B., Ward, C. & Campbell, S.S. (2008). Developing practices in multiple worlds: the role of identity in learning to teach. Teacher Education Quarterly, 2, 61-72.
Olsen, B. (2008). How reasons for entry into the profession illuminate teacher identity development. Teacher Education Quarterly, 2, 23-40.
Sfard, A. & Prusak, A. (2005). Telling identities: in search of an analytic tool for investigating learning as a culturally shaped activity. Educational Researcher, 34(4), 14-22.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Dana,

    Great post. I enjoyed reading your views and definitions of identity. I especially related to the statement, “If you know who you are and why you are who you are, it becomes easier to open yourself to considering new meanings.”

    For many years I was a military wife, a mother, a sister, a friend and a volunteer. During these years I identified myself as being the “giver”. (Roles that I have cherished) When I moved back to Nova Scotia after being out of province for a few years, I changed. I still fulfill most of the roles above, however, the difference being that I started to give back to myself. Becoming a student in a Masters program studying what I have always felt as my passion, allowed me to regain a sense of who I am and why I am who I am.

    How empowered I have felt in the past two years – in rediscovering my identity.

    Thank you for providing me with a time for self-reflection from reading your post.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana,
    I enjoyed your blog very much. What a great example and examination to explain what Bracher was telling in his book. I agree very much your statement “If you know who you are and why you are who you are, it becomes easier to open yourself to considering new meanings.”
    When I moved to the States, I had this idea that I was not good at Art, because I didn’t get good grades for my art class during my schooling year in Japan. I knew that fact and that was it. But my husband encouraged me to go for Art after I had taken one drawing class. In my opinion, I didn’t think I was doing well, but my grade was not too bad. My husband and all the teachers I had in the States were somewhat different from ones I had in Japan. They really taught me to see myself from different angle as well as teaching me art and craft. I knew there was something lacking in our Education in Japan, and I really experienced (participated) after going to school in Canada and the States what means to “support and teach” students, and now I learned, through Wenger’s book, what we are missing over there (reification.) I strongly agree with what you said, “this is what being a lifelong learner is all about.” Developing one’s identity is the most important factor in learning and teaching as well as in being human.
    Great Post!!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. You have highlighted the significant part of the concept of community of practice. I fully agree with you when you said that “a community of practice that which is governed by too many rules and regulations can be viewed as dictatorial”, because this type of a community of practice limits participant’s creativity as they become passive and unable to be a decision makers. Further, participation with rigid reifications makes people lose their interest to be full members. Therefore, they struggle to develop their skills. Inevitably the communities of practice can't achieve their goals and will hardly grow. I liked your example of the nursing profession. This shows that the nursing system continues to develop over period of time; the participants also grow to meet the requirements. This example explores the dynamics and resiliency between participation, reification and transformation. Adult educators should embrace the community of practice by adapting learning strategies that encourage collaborative learning and explore the tremendous benefits of this great concept. Very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, terrific post Dana!
    It is a hard process to critically reflect on oneself-which I forced myself to do in reading your blog. You mention that, "Bracher describes a degree of identity destabilization as almost inevitable in university students". Its interesting- in taking this program, I find myself changing the way I view the world. At first I felt really cynical and discouraged- Reading about how our world is structured can be quite depressing. Learning about the root causes of social issues, reading about the gap between the rich and the poor, capitalistic ideology etc. was quite overwhelming! However, there is a silver lining... I find myself seeing the type of person I want to be...that is someone who strives for social justice..or to put it non-academically, I want to route for the underdogs! Why? Because I have discovered I am quite privileged! It's difficult to acknowledge ones privilege as it means taking responsibility for much oppression...I think you summed it up perfectly in your concluding paragraph..."If you know who you are and why you are who you are, it becomes easier to open yourself to considering new meanings. I think this is what being a lifelong learner is all about". I could not agree more! Thanks for a great blog!

    -Tressa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for a great post Dana! Since our recent class where Donovan asked us to talk about our own identity-bearing signifiers, I often find myself reflecting on my own signifiers and wondering how and when they will change. I believe I am still on a journey of discovery, constantly changing and finding ways to maintain my identity. I hope my master signifiers will never impede my ability to learn. Yet, at times I do find myself worrying about the social impact of my decisions and how others’ opinions of me may change as a result. Obviously, Bracher may comments that social recognition still plays a part in my identity. I will say that several years ago, this struggle with social acceptance would have played a MUCH bigger role in my decision making years ago. Now, as I am confident in my decision to return to school and live in the area I have chosen, my need to be a people pleaser is not as high on my agenda anymore! Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Dana,
    I certainly agree with what you say in the second-last line of your blog: "If you know who you are and why you are who you are, it becomes easier to open yourself to considering new meanings." This resonated with me, I think, because I used to think about this a lot when I was transitioning from living in Asia to living in Canada again. I had so many questions at the time: who am I , what am I doing, why etc. But when I look back now, I realize that this IS part of lifelong learning and generativity. Ok, so I am getting older, but at the same time I am learning who I am through the experiences I am having. As you mentioned openness and inquiry are the major route to awareness of who we are and how we are motivated.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Launa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dana,

    Great Blog.I have been touched by this part of your post. “If you know who you are and why you are who you are, it becomes easier to open yourself to considering new meanings. I think this is what being a lifelong learner all is about”. Lifelong learning opens the channel to people to know who they are and why they are doing what they are doing. For example, I was dreaming for long time to get a Masters degree, but I could not make it because of my responsibilities to my family and to work. My life experience shifted my passion to education field. In the lifelong learning program I feel that I am satisfied because it will give me the opportunity to contribute to the society and help people in need.

    ReplyDelete